Home Special Visits Audiophile Visits Great CDs Shows For Sale Reviews About Us Contact Links Copyright Feedbacks

 

 

 

  Stereopal Home Visit:   Michael Wong, Markham, Ontario  Date:  April 20, 2007

                                       

             

                                

 

 
After spending a nice morning listening session at Mr. Wong's place, I spent an hour at Michael's dedicated listening room.

Michael has the same speaker, the Gershman Avant Garde, which is my favorite of all the Gershman models.  To my ears the Avant Gardes sound more coherent and more focused than the bigger and more expensive models (Black Swans,  Gap 828). 

Michael's set up sounded more relaxed and it had an overall softer presentation than Mr. Wong's system, which offered more clarity and definition.

 

   

 

 

  System Components:  
     
  CD Player: Shangling CD300
  Power Amp: Anthem MCA 5
  Speakers: Gershman Avant Garde RX-20
  Preamp / Processor: Anthem AVM 2
Speaker Cables: Audience AU24 Single Wire with AU24 jumpers
Interconnects: Shunyata Aries
Powre Cords: JPS Power AC+, JPS Digital Audio, PS Audio Xstream Statement SC, Xstream Statement

 

 

 

Michael Wong's Comments:

 

I listen to pretty much everything except heavy metal. My favorites are female vocal or anything with piano or saxophone.

When it comes to pure music only (i.e. no lyrics), the recording must be audiophile grade.

 

I am 80% happy with the sound of the system. I find it just a tad brighter than I like on some recordings and the bass certainly can be tighter (though the bass is more to do with the room as I have tried different speakers, amp combo) It lacks the other 20% that makes it a true high-end system. Right now I will rank my system between mid and high end sound. But given the modest cost of the entire system, I think its not a bad compromise.

 

       

       

 

 

 

 

       

 

 

 

  Back to Home Visits

 

 

 

Home Special Visits Audiophile Visits Great CDs Shows For Sale Reviews About Us Contact Links Copyright Feedbacks